By merely typing those words and then daring to post I realize I’ve likely opened myself up to heated debate, scorn and mocking. Well then, bring…It…ON! Because when it comes to opining on the perfect means to honor the Earl of Sandwich, it’s go big or go home.
An Ode to the Perfect Sandwich
(may the Earl and all English majors forgive me…)
Perfection is sought but seldom achieved,
regardless of drive or desire.
The Cuban, the Reuben, Pastrami on Rye,
may be all you think you require.
Meatloaf, pot roast, PB and J,
a Thanksgiving Dagwood’s pure glee.
Yet perfection’s achieved from components of 3
And the wholly sublime BLT.
Sure, waxing poetic about the BLT may be a bit odd, but when tomatoes are in season, I can’t help myself. A slab of juicy tomato sitting on toasted bread, surrounded by crisp lettuce, tangy mayo and salty porcine goodness is perfection achieved. There really isn’t a recipe for a BLT either, which makes it pretty accessible to just about anyone. As long as you can toast bread and fry (or bake, or microwave) bacon, you’re good to go. However, since I do like to play with my food, here’s some variations on the theme I’ve come up with over the years.
- BLT: The basic, and pretty damn fine all by itself
- PAT: Prosciutto, arugula and tomato
- BLAT: A slice of avocado added into the mix
- BLGT: guacamole standing in for mayo (or avocado mixed in with the mayo)
- BLHT: A drizzle of honey on the tomato (salty and sweet, another great combo)
- BLP: Bacon lettuce and Peach. Heresy? Perhaps, but when the tomatoes are kind of meh, a juicy peach is a damn fine stand in.
And to those of you who would argue with my idea of perfection, don’t just sit here…send me yours! I’m always ready for a good debate and in the spirit of democracy, I promise I’ll post them too.